CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 17, 2008

To Train Patience

I was never able to finish pictures that I drew. I am an accomplished artist in my own eyes and the eyes of the people who receive pictures from me. I've shown work in only a few galleries. My art doesn't define me although so many people associate me with art automatically.

Normally it is my writing that gives me fill. The power I have in describing what I see and what I need. Fluid sentences and reader reactions stay with me longer than phrases accompanying my art like, "it looks so real". I know, that was the point. Writing is my challenge and whenever I master it and actually bring readers to tears, I breathe well. I like that my writing affects people. I like that I affect people.

However, every couple of months I get a calling back to the pad and I desire a sheet of clean, white paper. I appreciate the base of what I work on and with. Like a perfect human body before it is inked. A blank canvas can turn out to be so many things.

Pictures with no backgrounds. That defines me in a way I probably couldn't put into words but still, on the surface, it shows my inability to follow through. I create some of the most beautiful, vibrant images and these faces and characters are floating in space. I never have the patience to give them a landscape or a setting. I focus on people.

The other part about my art that frustrates me is the timing. Some days I can draw anything. Other days, nothing. When I can draw something, I want to see the finished product so bad but the amount of time it takes to create an incredibly life like drawing is tedious and feels like it can go on forever.

I am inspired these days. Inspired by the very thing I've studied for so long and misunderstood for longer... People.

As people are my focus and patience is my obstacle, I will give myself small lessons in patience and pushing through the frustrations of time constraint. I will draw a picture to move me... and to teach me.

0 comments: